Grow Your Neighbour's Own garden share scheme
We have stopped running the Grow Your Neighbours Own garden share scheme for the time being due to large amounts of time needed to run a citywide scheme despite a limited number of matches.
We put a lot of time into administrating the scheme, interviewing and getting references for potential gardeners, advertising gardens to gardeners, and there are considerable variables to take into account e.g.
- If people have dogs / children
- Time of the week available
- Age / gender
- Ideas / plans for the garden
Aligning all these factors to best meet the needs of both the garden owner and the gardener can be tricky, particularly with more gardens located on the outskirts of the city and more gardeners located in the centre.
We feel the scheme might work better in a smaller geographical area, so if a local community group wanted to pick up the running of the scheme in their neighbourhood we would be happy to offer some initial advice and share our resources.
What can you do instead?
- Speak to neighbours and friends who may want to garden share.
- Register with Landshare - a great online resource connecting people who want to grow with people with land to share.
- If you are an allotment holder looking for a co-worker we can advertise this for you via our newsletter.
- If you would like to get involved in gardening we can offer you advice about volunteering in a community garden.